Friday, April 1, 2011
Hey look, I’m back! And this is where I went! That’s right, I was in Hawaii, and it was awesome. Specifically, I was on the island of O’ahu for a week. I spent a few nights in Waikiki, then a few nights on the north shore. This picture though is from neither of those. You’re looking at Makapu’u Beach and the Kalanianaole Highway, at the southeastern tip of the island. Most of the beaches around there are just absurdly beautiful, which in some ways I found pretty surprising after spending the first couple days in Honolulu. I mean, don’t get me wrong, Honolulu’s not bad, it’s a fine place to spend some beach time, but it doesn’t have this gorgeous white sand and turquoise water that a lot of other spots on the island do. (Not to mention the cliffs and mountains and all that.) Great stuff.
So anyway, I’m back now, and it’s April, a brand new month. So hopefully I’ll start posting again with at least some sort of regularity. Time will tell if that actually happens though.
In other news, if you were hoping to get your hands on a print or two, this is your chance! I’ll sell you a print of any picture you see on the blog, and 100% of the proceeds will go to a good cause: to help offset the medical expenses incurred by the sister of a friend of mine who was recently diagnosed with stage IV stomach cancer. I haven’t thought too much about what price to charge, but let’s say somewhere around $20 for a 12 x 18 inch print, or $35 for 20 x 30 inches. (That’s approximately 30 x 46 cm, and 51 x 76 cm, for you metric types.) I’ll even ship it for free! (Well, I’ll ship to the US for free. If you’re international, I’ll have to check what it’ll cost me before I commit to that. 😉 ) If you’re interested, leave a comment here or shoot me an email! ( dave (at) davefry.net ) (Alternatively, I could send your proceeds to the Red Cross for Earthquake relief – your choice.)
Notes: Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens. 1/320s, f/7.1, ISO 200. Focal length: 11mm.
UPDATE: In response to the first comment below, here is the original, unedited image straight off the camera (well, shrunk down to web-size, but you know what I mean):
As you can see, I did some tweaking to the brightness/contrast, and I added a bit of sharpening too. I used the editing functionality from Picasa to make those changes (which is what I use for 99% of my photo editing – the other 1% is when I use Picnik to straighten something, because Picasa’s straighten feature results in a lower-quality image.) If you wanted to know more specifics about what I did (or how), please ask!